AltaGas is an energy infrastructure business with a focus on natural gas, power and regulated utilities. We create value by acquiring, growing and optimizing energy infrastructure, which includes clean energy sources. Over the past 19 years we have built a portfolio of assets and created dynamic teams to support our future growth.
AltaGas requires an enthusiastic, innovative and motivated individual to join our Communications team. Reporting to the Manager of Communications, the Senior Communications Advisor plays a critical role in building and maintaining AltaGas’ public image. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of strategic communication plans and proactive media relations initiatives that help AltaGas achieve its business goals and enhance the company’s overall reputation. The Senior Communications Advisor will work with senior management and spokespeople to communicate the company's activities, goals and objectives to audiences through local, national and international media. The Senior Communications Advisor will be expected to provide support functions to the overall communications team and function as part of the team with a degree of autonomy and independence, working under broad guidelines.
Responsibilities for the position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develops media plans and communications strategies to meet the company's objectives
- Establishes and maintains relationships with external media (newspapers, television, radio, other publications
- Provides first point of contact for media and acts as company spokesperson, responding to media inquiries
- Develops proactive, integrated media communications plans and strategies that fit with AltaGas’ corporate objectives and those of its subsidiaries
- Ensures there are standard key messages and talking points created for management to use in discussion with media and other stakeholders
- Helps monitor mainstream media and social media and writes daily media monitoring reports
- Analyzes social and mainstream media pick-up; helps flag emerging issues in social and mainstream media, and follows major trends and issues affecting the company
- Compiles and prepares reports summarizing company news and social media metrics
- Arranges media training sessions for spokespeople with external consultant and works with spokespeople to provide briefings and ongoing media training; works with various personnel to educate about public and media relations
- Assists in planning and implementing of crisis communications response strategies
- Liaises with senior management and spokespeople; liaises with members of the media, referring them to experts or other sources of information, providing factual background information and actively promoting story ideas
- Assists communications and investor relations team to organize and coordinate events
- Compiles and maintain the media contact lists and provide management with a detailed background on them when required
- Assists in writing corporate speeches and presentations for senior management
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline
- Minimum of 5 - 7 years of experience in the communications field, with print and/or broadcast journalism experience that includes social media and multimedia aspects
- Experience in digital communications environment
- Requires strong communication skills – both written and verbal - and the ability to meet deadlines, and work under pressure on several projects simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of company personnel, including senior management
- Excellent knowledge of the journalistic requirements of regional, national and international news media organizations
- Familiarity with social media tools as well as design software such as Adobe suite of products would be an asset as would internet and website technical skills
- Knowledge of the Power, Gas and Utility industries is an asset
Qualified applicants are invited to email their resumes in confidence to the Human Resources Department; email@example.com.
AltaGas offers a competitive salary and benefits package in addition to opportunities for personal and professional achievement.
We thank all applicants for their interest in our organization, but only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No agency referrals or telephone inquiries at this time, please.